Woody Guthrie in Poetry and Song
September 8th @ 1 pm
RIDGEWOOD – Calling all poets, musicians, foodies, fans, and anyone else who’s interested -- or curious -- to celebrate the 100th birthday of Woody Guthrie on Saturday, September 8 at 1 p.m. at Ridgewood Christian Reformed Church (271 Lincoln Avenue at West End Avenue).
The festival will celebrate the life, music, and legacy of Woody Guthrie--the legendary folk singer/writer--upon the centennial of his birth. Contact ERGO firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to be included in the roster of participating poets, musicians, or chefs.
All poets are invited to attend and read their works that reflect the many themes of social, political, and spiritual justice in Woody’s “people songs.” Musical performers are welcome to share Woody’s music or their own folk music. Any chefs willing to share the foods of America are welcome to participate. This event follows similar events by New Jersey poets, musicians, and chefs who gave successful tributes to Fats Domino and Elvis Presley at the same church.
Come join the train…we’re bound for glorifying this wonderful land!
- Laura Boss, the Editor of Lips literary magazine and recipient of first place award in Poetry Society of America’s Gordon Barber Poetry Contest;
- Maria Mazziotti Gillan, Director of The Poetry Center in Paterson, has received the 2011 Barnes & Noble Writers for Writers Award from Poets & Writersand the 2008 American Book Award;
- James Gwyn, first prize winner in the 2008 Allen Ginsberg poetry contest and recipient of five Pushcart prize nominations;
- Charles H. Johnson, winner of the 2010 Paterson Poetry Prize for Literary Excellence and the 2011 New Jersey Poets Prize;
- Laine Sutton Johnson, published poet and songwriter as well as recipient of the 1998 New Jersey Governor’s Award for Outstanding Speech and Theatre Teacher;
- Chef Jesse Jones, winner of Bergen County’s Ultimate Chef Competition for 2010 and known for his Southern cooking with a French twist;
- Victoria Warne, songwriter and lead singer and guitarist with her Victoria Warne Band, has performed at the JVC Festival, many other New York area venues, and internationally.
# # #